Yangon, the commercial capital, is the main gateway to Myanmar. Evergreen and cool with lush tropical trees, shady parks and beautiful lakes, Yangon has earned the name of "The Garden City of the East". Yangon was founded by King Alaungpaya on the site of a small settlement called Dagon when he conquered Lower Myanmar in 1755.
WHERE TO VISIT
Shwe-dagon Pagoda, one of the wonders of the world, is believed to have been built more than 2500 years ago. The Pagoda was renovated many times over the centauries by successive Myanmar Kings. The historic Shwedagon Pagoda, which towers almost 100 meters above the green city-scrape of Yangon, never falls to enchant visitors. The shimmering main stupa soars high above the capital and is visible for miles away. A visit to Myanmar is incomplete without a visit to Shwedagon Pagoda.Shwe-dagon Pagoda, one of the wonders of the world, is believed to have been built more than 2500 years ago. The Pagoda was renovated many times over the centauries by successive Myanmar Kings. The historic Shwedagon Pagoda, which towers almost 100 meters above the green city-scrape of Yangon, never falls to enchant visitors. The shimmering main stupa soars high above the capital and is visible for miles away. A visit to Myanmar is incomplete without a visit to Shwedagon Pagoda.
This strange Architectural monument is situated right in the center of Yangon which can be served as the evident land mark of the City, just beside the Myanmar Travels and Tours office, Maha Bandoola Park and Independence Monument, Town Hall and Supreme Court. Sule Pagoda is said to have been built over 2,000 years old and enshrined a hair of Buddha. It has own original "Mon" name "Kyaik-Athok" translates as "the pagoda where a Sacred Hair Relic is enshrined". The golden pagoda is unusual for its octagonal shape continues right up to the bell and inverted bowl. It stands 50 meters (152 feet) high and is surrounded by small shops and all the familiar non- religious services such as of astrologists, palmists, and so on.
Pagoda was named after the thousand military leaders who escorted the relics of the " Buddha" brought from India over 2,000 years ago. "Bo" means "Military Leader" and "Tahtaung" means one thousand" the " Botahtaung" It is hollow inside and one can walk through it and a sort of mirrored maze inside the pagoda with glass show-cases containing many of the ancient relics and artifacts which were sealed inside the earlier pagoda. Above this interesting interior, the golden pagoda spire rises to 40 meters (132feet).
CHAUK HTAT GYI RECLINING BUDDHA IMAGE
This colossal (70 meters long) reclining Buddha, located on Shwe-gon-dine Road, is one of the largest Buddha images in Myanmar. The original image was built in 1907 built by the Wealthy merchant named Sir-Phoe Tha. But it has been suffered damages due to climate over the years. In 1957, it was demolished and rebuilt to this structure, and completed in 1966. It is a good place to learn the 108 significant symbols of Buddha's footprints. This gigantic Buddha Image is located in the big compound of Monasteries, and there are over 600 Buddhist monks who are studying Buddhist literature.
KABA AYE PAGODA
The name “Kaba Aye” in Myanmar means “World Peace” to which this pagoda is dedicated. Different from the other pagodas, Kabar Aye Pagoda was only built during 1952. This pagoda is significant for the Sixth World Buddhist Synod which was held in its large precinct in 1954. Myanmar people are Theravada Buddhist and are very deeply devoted to the religion. For the Sixth Buddhist Council, which was held during 1954-56, the Kabar Aye Pagoda was built in dedication to the council. The Kabar Aye Pagoda compound is a large one intended to have peace and quiet environment for the monks (Sangas) and the devotees.
National Museum of Myanmar is located at No. 66/74, Pyay Road, Dagon Township, Yangon, Myanmar. The National Museum of Myanmar was founded in 1952 with its premises at what was once the Jubilee Hall. In 1970 the museum was moved to a more spacious building on Pansodan Street. But these premises were not originally constructed to house a museum. The present National Museum is located on Pyay Road in a splendid four-storey building constructed for the purpose in spacious and specially landscaped grounds. Priceless ancient artefacts, works of art and historic memorabilia are on display in 14 halls on four storeys. Three halls on the ground floor hold exhibits on the evolution the Myanmar script and alphabet, the Lion Throne Room and Yatanabon Period pieces.
BOGYOKE (SCOTT) MARKET
Bogyoke Aung San Market is situated in the heart of Yangon, on Bogyoke Aung San Road. The name of this road was also named after the market. The Bogyoke Aung San Market is the most popular market and a great tourist destination in Yangon. It is one of the precious colonial buildings you can find in Yangon.
The market was first built and inaugurated on the present premises in 1926. It was named Scott Market after Mr. C. Scott, the then Municipal Commissioner. Nowadays, it is called Bogyoke Aung San Market in honour of our national leader General Aung San who was assassinated in 1947.
KANDAWGYI ROYAL LAKE AND KARAWEIK HALL
"Kandawgyi" royal lake is situated in the east of Shwedagon Pagoda. It was created by the British and a good spot for relax with well shady trees and plants. The Glisten Shwedagon pagoda reflects in the restful waters of the lake. There is full of interesting places around the lake. On the eastern part of Royal Lake is the Karaweik floating restaurant made of concrete fully decorated with pilaster work. It is the replica of Royal Barge with two mythical birds at fore-front which has been used by King Alongsithu of Bagan dynasty (12 Century AD).Karaweik Hall is a landmark of Yangon, locating in Kandawgyi (Royal) Lake. This modern architecture of a mythical creature Karaweik, has 3 floors and ceremonies are held in it. This whole building was gilded with gold about 20 years ago.
Kyauktawgyi Pagoda is also known as Lawka Chanthar Arbayar Laba Muni Buddha Image. The Lawka Chanthar Arbayar Laba Muni Buddha Image craved from the one piece of white is marble rock was done in year 2000, which is flawless and of high quality measuring 37 feet long, 24 feet wide and 11 feet thick was found at Sakyin Hill, Madaya Township, Mandalay Division. This huge Image is now at Mindhamma Hill, Insein Township, Yangon Division.
THANLYIN AND KYAUKTAN
Thanlyin is situated about 30 minute drive from Yangon. It was a commercial trade centre in the 11th century under the Portuguese known as Syriam. Places of interest include Thanlyin is famous for the large golden Kyaik Kauk Pagoda rising on a hillock to the right road. There are the ruins Catholic Church built by an Italian Braoabite Missionary in 18th century and the tombs of two famous Myanmar poets near Kyaik Kauk pagoda. Kyauk Tan, near Thanlyin-Yele-Paya (an island Pagoda) is one of the holly places. It is attractive for crossing the river by boat (Sampan) in a short time. Feeding the river catfishes can be enjoyed for all. And other a must visit is National Races Village. If you visit the village, you will not only enjoy fresh breeze blowing across Bago River but also get the sense of Union Spirit from the village of our national brethern, Kachin, Kayah, Kayin, Chin, Bamar, Mon, Rakhine and Shan. You can see buildings with significant symbols denoting various national races residing in the country.
From Yangon, on the way to Pyay, you will come across Paung Te. The sacred tooth relic of Buddha is enshrined in the Paung Te Swedaw Seddi.